This year, students will get to participate in our first Tournament of Books (or Bookatology)! Each week, they’ll have a chance to vote for their favorite book in this year’s matchup. Voting will happen via SurveyMonkey (or paper, if needed).
I’m a huge basketball fan. So are many students. This tournament seemed like a perfect match! Here’s what I did to set up the program:
- Ran a report of the books with the top circulation in Destiny. (5 min)
- Highlighted the top 16 chapter books from the list. If a book was in a series, only 1 was included in the tournament bracket. (10 min)
- Created a display with book covers / titles. The paper/border was already up! (75 min)
- Make a survey using SurveyMonkey, including setting up an account, learning how to use the program, and embedding images. (60 min)
- Added the survey to our Destiny catalog. (10 min)
- Use the card templates in Word to make the book covers / titles the similar size (and not too big). Images should be no larger than 1/4 page.
- Include the titles typed out. It helps.
- Map out the space BEFORE stapling!
- I worked R-L for the first 2 columns on the right, then switched to L-R for the first 2 columns of the left. Then I centered the final 3 columns. I didn’t know how to make the lines/boxes, so I winged it as I went.
- Another idea: start in the center and work outward!
Things I’ve Learned (updated after Round 1):
- SurveyMonkey is only free for the first 100 responses. Now I’m making 2 surveys: one for the Destiny catalog and one for the web / emails to teachers. The first 10 questions are free – that’s plenty for this survey (I’ll delete them when I’m done, freeing up question space).
- Embedding the covers in SurveyMonkey were a great idea, but the graphics were too large. The max size in the dimension should be 115 (the 2nd number will automatically constrain the proportion).
Now, time to vote! Students will log into Destiny to find a link to each week’s voting survey. In order to vote, they should have read both titles in a matchup.
Round 1 – initial 16 titles: Week of March 9, 2015
Round 2 – top 8 titles: Week of March 16, 2015
Round 3 – top 4 titles: Week of March 23, 2015
Round 4 – top 2 titles: Week of March 30, 2015
Grand champion announced April 3, 2015!
I’ve got my prediction of what book will win. Can’t wait to see how this turns out!