Time flies when you’re having fun, and I have had a lovely, time-flying type of summer…so much so that I haven’t posted one thing about the awesome event that kicked off my summer vacation: ALA in Vegas!
Three days of conference awesomeness kicked off with spotting an acquaintance on the airplane that I hadn’t talked to in years. In short, saying hello and making a connection with her proved to be the best move I made at ALA: she seemed to know everyone and had an amazing professional reach.
Here’s what happened each day. In photos. Because they tell the true story. 🙂
I’m always pumped after ALA, and this time I had to wait over a week to see most of my goodies due to shipping and more summer travel. Eventually, this is what I opened:
That’s 50+ pounds of mostly books. Believe it or not, I was choosy in which ARC’s I picked up. There is always so much! A big shout-out to my CrossFit gym: I carried some serious book weight around the convention each day without breaking a sweat!
- Authors and illustrators around every corner. What an amazing floor exhibition!
- Mac Barnett and Jon Klassen. Be still my book-loving heart, I was a total fangirl when I met them. And I secured a copy of their newest collaboration, Sam and Dave Dig a Hole. Yippee!
- Newbery darling Kate DiCamillo and the advance readers copy of her latest in the Mercy Watson world, Leroy Ninker Saddles Up. This was my top ARC of the event!
- One word: Judy. Both Judy Blume and Judith Viorst were at a dessert gala sponsored by Simon and Schuster. Thank you, thank you to my plane connection for the invite. Judy Blume and me! In a picture! Together! I can barely believe it…
- The Newbery / Caldecott Banquet. A whole evening devoted to celebrating the best in children’s literature is my idea of a great night in Vegas!
- Those boxes of free/mostly free books, bags, and library goodies. I won’t mention the post office line that was 90 minutes long…
- Comfortable shoes, clothes, and buses that ran on time! Win, win, WIN!
Truly, going to ALA is a treat. I can’t wait to go back!